If you are considering starting a business in the United States and moving there in order to establish it, there are several visa options to consider. The correct choice will depend on your current situation.
If you already have an established business outside of the US which has been trading for at least twelve months, and employs four or more people, the L-1A visa explained below is something you should consider.
If your business has been trading for less than twelve months or has fewer than four employees, you should consider the E-2 visa (click here) .
If you do not have a business outside of the US but are interested in moving there to start a business, you should consider the E-2 visa (click here) .
The L-1A Visa Route
This is a visa available for companies wishing to extend their activity to the United States by establishing a presence there, or moving a senior executive. This is a particularly attractive category for those looking to become permanent US residents in the future: depending on the status of your business, an applicant may renew their visa for periods of up to two years, with the opportunity to apply for a green card.
Immediate family members – a spouse and children under 21, are able to join a transferee in the USA.
- An applicant needs to have been in a managerial role within the company for at least one continuous year in the three years prior to applying for an L-1A.
- L-1A visa applications require a detailed and exhaustive business plan to outline growth strategies.
- The company needs to have a pre-arranged space for the new office headquarters – we can help you to find an office space.
- The prospective office in the USA will need to support the applicant in their executive role within a year of the application approval.
Length of Stay
An employee establishing a new office in the USA is eligible to stay for one year under the L-1A visa. After this, requests for additional stay may be granted in increments of up to two years with a maximum stay of seven years allowed, and it is possible to apply for a green card.
How We Can Help You
Arriving in a new business environment can be stressful, regardless of your expertise and background. There are unfamiliar rules and regulations to comply with, choices to make in terms of office location, hiring staff, finding suppliers and pleasing customers. You do not want to be burdened by tasks that add no value to your business.
Our experts can help you to get started so that you can concentrate on your real business issues.
We can provide incorporation services across all US states for a complete answer to your US business’ needs:
- Visa application management – we can manage your entire L-1A visa application from start to finish
- Company formation – incorporating an existing company, providing you with a shelf company or registering your new business as well as providing a registered office address
- Virtual offices and serviced offices – you may need physical office space for your company, or you may need a virtual or serviced office for off-site communication with a remote receptionist and other services to project your business’ professionalism
- Opening corporate bank accounts – we can arrange your bank account without having to visit the US
- Social Security – we can arrange all of your formal registrations in the US
- Accountancy services – a full range of accounting services can be provided
- Tax planning – helping you to minimise your exposure to US tax liability.
Where Can I Incorporate?
The quick answer is, anywhere. We can help you to set up your business in any of the 50 US states. To find out more about the most popular formation packages we offer, enquire today .
Please fill out your details in the contact form below
If you are considering opening a business in the US and moving there to run it we can help you to assess your options and to assist you in making sure that your initiation into the US business market is a smooth one.